Monday, 18 August 2008

18/08/08 - BJJ Class


My first BJJ class in a week and by god i felt the lack of training creep up on me with all the subtle, cat like movements of a runaway freight train.

Got to the gym at about 7pm, enough time to stretch out (which i've been doing more of in my absence from the class) and get ready for the BJJ class at 7.30.

Getting back into the swing of things felt good, and we started with a simple drill; breaking your opponents posture while he's sitting in your closed guard. This is a vital part of any guard system, and sadly something that a lot of beginners forget, myself included. I'd quite like to drill this with more active resistance, which i think would help to integrate this into my gameplan.

After this, utilising the Gi, Lee showed the class a technique where, by wrapping the gi around an arm, you can secure a grip which maintains a level of control on the arm for long enough for you to grab an armbar. Failing this, Lee showed us the next technique in the series where you can take the same Gi-grip and if the armbar fails, use this as a gogoplata-like choke which can then in turn be used as a setup for other things, if failed.

This seemed like a very nice little setup and i'm VERY impressed with it. The techniques in class seem to be making more sense to me lately in the wider scheme of things, and for that i'm eternally thankful. Understanding moves is nine-tenths of the game itself.

A little light sparring followed these techniques, with myself and the returning Tim being paired up for a little guard-passing work. Tim's getting much better, and i feel like my guard is getting more effective; i'm no longer just going for double-wrist grips and using the lay and pray strategy, i'm actually trying to set things up. The omoplata has become my best friend, that move is just SO versatile.

At the end of the class Lee spoke to us on the concept of injury; something close to my heart after my thumb was in agony all week. Alright, not the worst injury ever.. shh.

It's true; injuries suck. And the more you put 100% of your strength into every training session the more you'll have. This isn't the finals of the mundials or the ADCC, just tap for crying out loud.

Anyway, after the class i paired up with Jez for some tougher sparring. I'm noticing that he's putting me on my back easily off of the kneeling position; but given that this isn't a natural position that occurs in a fight, this isn't an issue to me. He's developed a pretty solid smashing top game which isn't pleasant to be under, believe me.

I think that's enough said for tonight. Again, sorry for the lack of updates but there you go, that's what happens when you're stuck in the world of technology; "sh*t happens". :).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Attractive part of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and
in accession capital to say that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.
Anyway I will be subscribing in your augment or
even I success you get admission to persistently rapidly.


Feel free to visit my web blog - examine

Anonymous said...

Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been blogging
for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is
fantastic, let alone the content!

Also visit my webpage ... periphery

Anonymous said...

Hi there, for all time i used to check blog posts here early
in the morning, since i like to gain knowledge
of more and more.

Also visit my web-site ¤Ê¤ó¤Á¤ã¤Ã¤Æ